The “60 Minutes of Lime Rock”: Nathan Hale Ray High School Wins Electrathon
LAKEVILLE, Conn. (Nov. 3) – It’s not the 24 Hours of Le Mans, but it’s nearly as challenging... The team from Nathan Hale Ray High School in East Haddam, Conn., took the overall win in the Connecticut Electrathon race at Lime Rock Park October 30. Entered in the “Composite” category (fiberglass, wood or carbon-fiber monocoque chassis), the #X car completed 119 laps of Lime Rock’s 2/10-mile autocross test track in the allotted 1 hour, for a total of 23.8 miles.
The goal of each Connecticut Electrathon (formed in 2001 as a regional division of Electrathon America, whose purpose is “to develop a sport to improve public understanding of electric vehicles”) is to stage a twice-yearly competition where electric cars designed and built by students are driven as far as possible in exactly 1 hour’s time on a closed-loop course using limited electrical energy.
Second overall and first in the “Classic” category (metal space-frame chassis) was the #5 Lyme-Old Lyme High School vehicle, which completed 115 laps (23.0 miles). There was a tie for second place in Classic: the #395 Old Saybrook High School and the Somers High School #209 both finished with 109 laps (21.8 miles). Finishing third was the team from Farmington High School (#526, 97 laps/19.4 miles).
The Connecticut Electrathon is sponsored by Lime Rock Park; the Wicks Group, PLLC; the Diebold Foundation; and Central Connecticut State University.
Final results, Connecticut Electrathon, October 30, 2009
Lime Rock Park autocross test circuit (5-turn, 1,056-foot track)
(Position, team and car number, town and county, laps completed/total miles)
1. Nathan Hale Ray High School #X, East Haddam (Middlesex County), 119 laps/24.8 miles
1. Lyme-Old Lyme High School #5, Old Lyme (New London County), 115 laps/23.0 miles
2. Old Saybrook High School #395, Old Saybrook (Middlesex County), 109/21.82. Somers High School #209, Somers (Tolland County), 109/21.8
3. Farmington High School #526, Farmington (Hartford County), 97/19.4
4. Nathan Hale Ray High School #537, 94/18.8
6. Lyme-Old Lyme High School #236, 89/17.8
7. Farmington High School #524, 73/14.6
8. Cheshire High School #701, Cheshire (New Haven County), 47/9.4
1. Nathan Hale Ray High School #X, 119 laps/24.8 miles
2. Somers High School #009, 105/21.0
3. Somers High School #006, 73/14.6
4. Farmington High School #520, 69/13.8
5. Nonnewaug High School #665, Woodbury (Litchfield County), 61/12.2