Lime Rock Park’s Historic Festival 35 Presented by the Prestige Family of Fine Cars, September 1-4, is less than 7 days away
► HF35 Honored Guest Richard Attwood, the famed British driver, is not only signing autographs, meeting-and-greeting, and getting on the track PA with Greg Rickes, he’s racing during the weekend. Attwood is in Group 9, “Not Quite Street Legal,” driving the Miles Collier Revs Institute 1966 Ford GT40. It’s been years since a real GT40 has raced at Lime Rock, so this is a rare opportunity to see the car that a vengeful Henry Ford spent millions on to beat Enzo Ferrari at Le Mans. Attwood was one of Ford’s top GT40 development drivers in-period
► For the Sunday in the Park Concours, Wayne Carini confirmed yesterday he has entered four fabulous and historically important cars: a 1929 Stutz Blackhawk Speedster Special; a late-50s Stanguellini Formula Junior; the one and only Ford Model A hot rod built by John Athan that went on to star in an Elvis Presley movie; and one of the earliest hot rods ever, speed parts pioneer Ed Iskenderian’s cam-and-valvetrain test mule, the iconic “Isky T”
► More than 60 cars of every kind are scheduled to go under the Dragone Auction gavel Sunday, September 3, 11:00a to 2:00p. Many of them are crossing the block with no set minimum bid (“No Reserve”), and the “lots,” as the cars are called in the auction business, will be on display starting Friday morning.
Here are just a few of the cars in the Lime Rock auction: 1938 Cadillac V16 Convertible Sedan (NR)... Richard Petty’s 1978 Dodge Magnum NASCAR stock car (NR)... the 1956 Indy 500 DeSoto Convertible Pace Car (NR)... the famous Oldsmobile Toronado “Mannix Roadster,” created by George Barris... an amazing 1915 Harley Davidson “Model K” race bike... a 1903 Cadillac Model A Rear Entrance Tonneau... a 1956 Chevy Corvette “Dual Quad” (NR)... a 1958 Chrysler 300D (NR)... and a 1930 Packard 740 Super Eight Phaeton. NOTE: Register to bid (click here) or register on-site at the Dragone Auctions Office in the Infield Chalet. To see all the Lime Rock lots on the Dragone website, click here.
Other HF35 highlights
• Two huge “Formula Junior” race groups – front engine and rear engine – are here for the 2017-2018 Formula Junior Diamond Jubilee World Tour
• Bringing five of his favorite cars is one of America’s foremost collectors, Bruce Meyer:
• New for 2017: an Honored Motorcycle Collector, Philip Richter, bringing nine great bikes
• Hundreds of historic cars in nine varied race groups competing in 36 total races
• 1,000 cars on track for the Sunday in the Park Concours and Gathering of the Marques
• Extensive Midway, plus food trucks, memorabilia, swap meet, Harpoon Tavern, book signings, autograph sessions, hot lap raffles, special displays, Ford GT40 demonstration laps and more
JUST ANNOUNCED At the track, a reproduction of Lime Rock Park’s very first souvenir program, “The Haybale” from opening day, April 28, 1957, is available for $10