Sunday October 9, 2022
Lime Rock Park
Open for racing since 1957 on the site of a former sand and gravel quarry, Lime Rock Park has played a key role in the rich history of American motorsports. And cycling! For decades, road racers have raced on these historic turns in the Connecticut Berkshires. For 2022, we’re going to make it a little dirty, with The Lime Rock Epic.
What is it?
The Lime Rock Epic is a Gravel Fondo cycling event featuring timed “enduro segments” throughout. Ride your ride at your pace, and slay the time segments as you wish. Enduro times will be tallied with prizes awarded for the lowest overall times. The event is a mixed surface ride featuring pavement and unpaved surfaces ranging from gravel to mud to sand. This is a fully supported gravel fondo. Entry includes a post-ride meal at our finish party back at Lime Rock Park.
- Three unique courses are on offer, all commencing with a lap of the raceway , marshaled by the Lime Rock Park Aston Martin F1 Pace Car; The 3 State – a 100k/ 62mi/ 5.5k ft vertical long course venturing through NY, MA, and CT, The 2 State – a beautiful 65k/41mi/ 3.5k ft vert course through CT and MA, and our One State Sampler – a 35k/ 22 mile introductory course with a rolling profile, designed for a fun intro to gravel, hearty families and mixed ability groups to enjoy.
- Unpaved sectors will be given four classifications: EASY, CHALLENGING, DIFFICULT, SAVAGE.
- A digital edition of the route will be shared to all entrants via e-mail five days prior to the event. Printed cue sheets will be available at registration. A custom top-tube sticker will be issued with a complete index of all unpaved sectors. The organizers will use kilometer and miles as the units of measure.
- There are four timed segments, the location of which will not be listed in advance. Organizers will position three signs to identify each timed segment: a notification sign set
roughly 500 meters prior, the start and the finish. Timed segments MAY be a portion of a single unpaved sector or a sequence of combined unpaved sectors interspersed with paved sectors.
- Chip timing provided by Ride with GPS
- The total field limit is 500
- Pre-event complimentary service and on-course critical service provided by The Alternate Route and Speed and Sprocket. Riders should be self-sufficient and prepared to look after themselves.
- SAG service available throughout the route. A rider with a mechanical, medical or spiritual mishap along a section inaccessible to vehicles should proceed forward to secure service.
- Spotty mobile phone service exists throughout most of the route, so ride prepared and accordingly.
- Rain Bag Service presented by KMC Chain. Bags will be provided at registration to be marked and stuffed by riders. Given changing weather conditions riders may choose to swap clothing out at the rest stop. Bag car will depart Thompson at 10 a.m. to arrive at the rest stop by 10:30. Bags will be returned in successive waves to registration by support vehicles. The estimated arrival time of the final bag car is 2:30 p.m.
- Mid point rest stop opens at 10 a.m. and closes at 2 p.m.
- Souvenir bandana & stickers!!
- Awards for top finishers (See notes below on scoring).
- Post-ride banquet w/complimentary food and beer at Lime Rock Park.
- Heated, indoor changing rooms available at the Raceway.
- FREE parking!
- NO Refunds (Entry is transferable to another rider or a future edition)