Five Fast Facts – Trans Am
The Trans Am Series presented by Pirelli kicks off its season this weekend (Feb. 25-27) at Sebring International Raceway. In 1966, Sebring was the home to the first-ever Trans Am event, launching what has become the longest-running professional road racing series in North America. Trans Am roars into Sebring with a huge entry list of 68 cars to open the 2022 racing season.
With a new tire package, new drivers and some big names in the mix, here are five fast stories to follow this weekend:
1. Chris Dyson Defends TA Title: Lime Rock Park hometown favorite Chris Dyson opens the defense of his TA Crown at Sebring, where he scored a sensational last-to-first victory to open the 2021 campaign, taking the lead on the final lap.
2. Huge TA2® Field: The TA2® class features a mammoth 48-car entry, with defending champion Rafa Matos facing a host of challengers including new teammate Mike Skeen, Thomas Merrill, Adam Andretti, Connor Mosack and Cameron Lawrence.
3. New Tire Package for TA: Look for new TA class track records – beginning at Sebring and coming to Lime Rock – with Trans Am’s move to an 18-inch Pirelli P Zero DH tire and 18-inch Forgeline wheels. In addition to fastest lap times, the new tires will allow for bigger brakes and reduce the temperatures being produced.
4. NASCAR Entry Influence: Former NASCAR Cup Series regulars Boris Said, Wally Dallenbach Jr. and Paul Menard will be challenging for the victory in the TA class.
5. Young Guns in TA2®:The TA2 class will award a new $20,000 cash prize to the top points-earning National TA2 driver who is under 25 years old in 2022, nine of the 11 eligible licensed drivers will compete this weekend with Connor Zilisch as the favorite. The 15-year-old karting sensation captured the pole last year (youngest person to ever hold pole and lead a lap in Trans Am history) in his lone Trans Am race last year at VIR, and led the race until pitting for a burnt spark plug wire. He is running the full season for Silver Hare Racing.
Trans Am returns to Lime Rock Park for the Memorial Day Classic May 27-30. For Tickets: Memorial Day Classic – Lime Rock Park